I have been thinking that I will add a winch, overdrive and Peugeot XD3P 2.5L Diesel power plant to the Jeep. But never thought that I will be needing a companion to the Jeep itself. Though my farm and urban travels are always filled with my rear passenger area of the jeep, I never had an idea of trailer.
In the recent past, I wanted to give it a try to mate a trailer with the jeep. Few of my train travel via. Chennai, Avadi military scrap yard made me think like that. You know what today I own a trailer.
A month back I paid an token advance to take my trailer(Mahindra branded) from one of the army scrap vendor here, however I requested him to assist me for the paper work so the trailer is road legal.
I saw my trailer loaded in a truck, collected few pictures for future reference. Then my rush to know about the trailer gave me mind full of information.
1. Mahindra Trailers are equipped with Break assy. with the hook bar and emergency breaks.
2. Mahindra Trailers got cross bar to manually pull the trailer, this could be folded down when towing
3. Mahindra Trailers are got smalls hooks inside and outer side of the body
4. Mahindra Trailers got tools box on the right side of the outer body wall
5. Mahindra Trailers got Quadrilateral shaped mudguards and box typed mudguards
1. Bantam Trailers got no break assy but equipped with emergency break
2. Bantam Trailers got round shaped mudguard
3. Bantam Trailers got wiring for rear taillamp which could be attached with the Jeep (advantage)
4. Bantam Trailers were easy operatable when taking reverse as there is no breaks attached in the tow bar, the Mahindra's normally hit the break and makes bit tough for reverse operations.
Finally today, it was my towing experience. It was scary and exciting as I'm learning something new.
The first trailer towing experience was bit too long, as I had to tow the trailer for aroudn 30kms in Chennai's peak hour traffic. Unfortunately I had to drive the jeep with trailer during office close time and got stuck in the traffic. The issue came when I wanted to reverse the trailer, woah.. no way I could do the trailer goes on it's own path. I need to learn the tactics of driving the trailer now. Since I was not sure how to reverse the jeep with trailer finally I had to remove it from the hook and manually reverse then got it back to the jeep again.
The trailer has been dropped at my sand blasting unit, tomorrow morning the guys in the sandblasting workshop will do the required work for the trailer.
I hope to pick it up after 2-3 days as my office time realy prevents me going so far during week days.